Monday, December 22, 2008

Bird Photography Weekly


Blue-winged Teal - photographed in May at the Horicon Marsh during their annual birding festival. Did anyone do a CBC this past weekend? My group went out Saturday morning and had quite a bit of luck considering Friday we got a foot of new snow. Our list included all of the usual suspects you would expect to see in southeastern Wisconsin in December - chickadees, house finches, house sparrows, cardinals, bluejay, woodpeckers (downy and red-bellied), herring gulls, crows, mourning doves, pigeons, mallards, juncos, and three hawks (red tailed, coopers and sharp shinned). The biggest surprise for me was the large group of robins (at least 25) all hanging out together in the park just blocks from my home. I wish I had been carrying my camera - a missed opportunity! To see more bird photos visit Bird Photography Weekly at BirdFreak.com.

4 comments:

  1. Your blue-winged teals are beautiful. Your bird count sounds like it was so much fun. Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. We are not having snow here but I had to refill my bird bath three times today and one mocking bird said 'thank you' twice. Best wishes for the season.
    Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  2. We tend to see more green winged teals where we live, but it is always a treat when we spot a pair like yours. Happy Holidays...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful birds. It sounded like a fun bird count - but I wouldn't like all that snow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice photos! We seldom see these birds here.

    ReplyDelete